6th Darwin Plus Grant Round Open
The sixth round of the UK’s Darwin Plus grant scheme is now open. The closing date for applications is 10th October 2017.
The aim of Darwin Plus is to help deliver long-term strategic outcomes for the natural environment in the UK’s Overseas Territories (OTs).
Biodiversity in the OTs is globally significant. The OTs support unique ecosystems and a large number of rare and threatened species, many of which are found nowhere else in the world. It is estimated that the OTs contain an estimated 90% of the biodiversity found within the UK and the Territories combined.
A key priority for Darwin Plus is that it should help deliver the UK Governments commitment to create a Blue Belt of marine protection around the OTs. This includes:
- Improving marine conservation, protection or management, including developing integrated marine management plans.
- Promoting sustainable fisheries including the development of sustainable management plans and development of the fisheries sector, including aquaculture.
Further priorities include:
- Dealing with invasive alien species including prevention through improved biosecurity and/or eradication/control where species have already become established.
- Developing approaches to deal with the effects of climate change, including renewable energy schemes.
- Developing tools to value ecosystem services and monitor biodiversity to inform sustainable development policies and practices.
- Developing ecosystem-based initiatives for the conservation and sustainable use of the terrestrial and marine environments.
- Developing or improving waste management strategies
- Developing data systems on biodiversity (and human activities affecting biodiversity) to help develop policies and management plans. This should include baseline survey and subsequent monitoring.
Projects outside the areas listed above could be funded if there is evidence that the project is a priority for the UKOT(s) in which the project will be conducted.
Further information on the scheme and how to apply can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/darwin-plus-applying-for-projects-in-uk-overseas-territories